A Christ-Centered Life
I once taught a lesson in church, which was written by President Ezra Taft Benson, about developing a Christ-centered life. I was impressed with his doctrinal knowledge of Jesus Christ and the many beautiful scriptures he shared with us. As part of my preparation for teaching the class, I decided to type up all fifty-five of these scriptural phrases that he used in his lesson so I could ponder them and better understand these doctrinal truths of becoming about like Jesus Christ. It changed my life.
1. Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.
2. Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.
3. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
4. For the right way is to believe in Christ and deny him not;
5. Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh;
6. Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness;
7. Love God with all your might, mind and strength, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ;
8. Come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
9. They who do hunger and thirst after righteousness, shall be filled with the Holy Ghost.
10. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, feasting upon the word of Christ,
11. Endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God,
12. Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
13. Willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him,
14. Given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature,
15. Add to your faith virtue; knowledge; temperance; patience; godliness; brotherly kindness; charity.
16. And he that looketh upon a woman to lust after her shall deny the faith, and shall not have the Spirit;
17. Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God;
18. It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance.
19. And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom, by study and also by faith.
20. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
21. Be still and know that I am God.
22. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
23. That ye put off the old man . . .And that ye put on the new man,
24. But charity is the pure love of Christ, and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
25. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all
26. And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
27. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
28. Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
29. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
30. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.
31. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
32. For the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you.
33. Come unto me and ye shall partake of the fruit of the tree of life;
34. Ye fair ones, how could ye have rejected that Jesus, who stood with open arms to receive you!
35. He will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause,
36. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him,
37. And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written,
38. Love God with all your might, mind and strength, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ;
39. Stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in,
40. Remember to retain the name written always in your hearts,
41. They took upon them the name of Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end.
42. We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ,
43. Receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love;
44. I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support;
45. Let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.
46. Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings,
47. Remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation;
48. He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.
49. We are made alive in Christ because of our faith;
50. They should suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ.
51. Clasped in the arms of Jesus.
52. I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul.
53. I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love.
54. Be faithful in Christ.
55. May the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, abide with you forever.